INGREDIENTS (serves 6)
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tbsp. honey
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. butter
2 granny smith apples, or other tart apple variety, cored and chopped
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, plus a little extra for garnishing
1. Heat oven to 350°F/175°C. Cut challah into cubes.
2. In a large bowl, add the eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla. Whisk well. Add bread and soak for 30 minutes. This 30 minute soak gives the bread pudding a custard-like texture.
3. In a pan, melt the butter on medium-high heat. Add the honey and apples. Stir. Cook for about 5 minutes until the apples start to caramelize, but there is still liquid at the bottom of the pan. Add the pomegranate seeds, stir until evenly mixed and remove from heat. We don’t want to cook the pomegranate, we just want to mix it into the caramel apple sauce.
4. Add the challah to an 8 x 8 inch baking dish and spread evenly. Add the apple mixture and spread.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, or until browned on top. The center of the bread pudding should still have a little jiggle when shaken. Serve with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup and garnish with fresh pomegranate seeds.