(No-bowl) Cinnamon Roll Challah recipe
3 1/2 cups flour
2 eggs (and 1 more for egg wash)
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 packet)
3 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup warm water
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 dash salt
1. For this recipe, we made the dough on the counter because it’s fun and you don’t need to wash a huge bowl afterwards. Place the flour in the center of your table and make a hole in the center like a crater in the top of a pyramid.
2. In the center of the flour, add the eggs, yeast, honey, oil, salt and half of the water. Mix with a fork. Then using a spoon or your hands pull some of the flour from the edges into the center to form a dough. Add the remaining water while there is still a bowl shape in the flour. Mix into a dough and knead for 7 minutes. Cover and allow to rise for 1 hour in a warm place.
3. While the dough is rising, make the filling a medium sized bowl. Add the oil, sugar and cinnamon. Mix.
4. Preheat the oven t0 375F/190C. Separate the dough into 3 pieces. Roll each one into a square with a rolling pin. It helps to flip the dough and pull the corners with your hands. If you rip the dough, simply fix it with your fingers. Spread the cinnamon-sugar mix on the dough, leaving a 1/2 inch around the edges. Roll each square. Pinch the ends and stretch each strand to about a foot long. Braid them up! Place on a non-stick baking surface and cover for 30 minutes.
5. Gently brush the challah dough with one beaten egg. Bake for 30 minutes. If the top is getting too dark, place a piece of foil on top of the challah in the oven.
For another delicious stuffed challah, try our Apple Challah.
For a simple, yet easy, challah, try Challah In A Bag.