Feeling lazy? Make challah in a bag.
We’ve made some updates to the preparation. The recipe is now officially foolproof.
INGREDIENTS (1 challah)
1 tbsp. yeast
1 cup warm water
3 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tbsp. salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3 cups all-purpose flour + 1/4 cup
1 egg for basting (optional for vegan challah, substitute olive oil)
Sesame seeds for topping
1. In a 1 gallon plastic ziplock bag, add the yeast, water, sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups of flour.
2. Give the bag a little shake. Don’t work too hard- remember, it’s a lazy challah!
3. Place the bag in a bowl of warm water for 30 mins.
4. Remove from bowl, shake, release air from bag, and place on the table for 1 hour. Flip bag every 20 mins. The dough should be very wet. It will start to bubble and self-knead. WHOA.
5. After the 1 hour, add 1/4 cup flour and give the bag another shake. This makes the dough not stick to the bag.
6. Leave the bag for 1 hour and 30 mins to rise. It should still be a wet dough. If it’s not rising, flip it over and knock it down. If the dough is wet, the recipe will turn out amazing.
7. Preheat oven to 300F/150C.
8. On a well-floured surface, separate the dough and stretch out 3 strands. Braid.
9. Baste with egg and sprinkle sesame seeds (optional for vegan challah, substitute olive oil). Leave to rise for 15 mins before it goes in the oven.
10. Bake on a non stick tray for 40 mins or until golden on top.