INGREDIENTS (Serves 6)
3 large potatoes, peeled
1 small onion, peeled
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
oil, for frying
Musselman’s Applesauce, unsweetened, for garnish
Sour cream, for garnish
1. Grate the potatoes and onion by hand or using a grater attachment on a food processor.
2. Place the grated potatoes and onion in a cloth and squeeze out all the liquid. This is the TRICK for making the latkes extra crispy, so make sure to squeeze really well.
3. Add the potato and onion to a large bowl along with the eggs, flour, salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Add oil to a large pan and bring to medium heat. Take a spoonful of the mixture and place in the pan. Press down with the back of the spoon or a spatula to make it flat. This keeps the latke in one piece. Fry for about 2 minutes on each side.
5. Place on a paper towel to soak up the oil. Serve hot with applesauce and sour cream.